Sunday, April 22, 2012

Boothbay Harbor, ME


After Boston, my family and I headed north toward Maine.  There were two places that we planned on stopping at on our journey.  The first place that we spent a few days at was Boothbay Harbor, ME.  This is a quiet boating town that attracts tourists to the area for their fishing, kayaking, hiking trails, boat trips, sailing, and lighthouse tours. This quaint town also has some great restaurants that are known for their fresh seafood. 

While we were there, we were lucky enough to spend one of our days taking a whale watch boat trip for a few hours. On our way out into the ocean, we had the opportunity to see some beautiful lighthouses along the coast.  Although we did not get to see any whales that day, we did get to see some sharks, and a fish that quicky became one of the most interesting ones that I have ever seen.  I got some great pictures of a Mola Mola (Ocean Sunfish).  These are fish that can be up to 11 feet long and weigh a couple thousand pounds.  The one that I saw was definitely not that big...but it still seemed pretty large in size. They are known for being gentle creatures that feed mostly on jellyfish.  The neat thing about these kinds of fish is that they swim on their sides, sometimes near the surface of the water.  The reason they do this is to get some sun, which is why they are called Sunfish!  They are also known as lazy swimmers because they don't move very fast, and they just kind of float along as they go.  I had never even heard of this kind of fish before, but I was so glad I got to see it up close! 

We had a great time in Boothbay Harbor!  Next up-Bar Harbor, ME!



















4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Ocean Sunfish either! Very interesting post and great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should quit your day job ;) In all seriousness, your pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Anna!! Your pictures are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are all in agreement that you have a huge talent with photography. Perhaps a travel photographer and blogger are your future!

    ReplyDelete