Monday, April 16, 2012

Boston!


Old State House
After my college graduation, my family and I were deciding where to visit next.  We had been to so many places before, but one place that we hadn’t ventured to was Maine.  We had planned on traveling to Boston for a few days over the fourth of July, and then making the journey north up to Booth Bay Harbor and Bar Harbor, Maine.  I was really excited to travel there because I had always wanted to go.  I was even more excited to try all of the fresh seafood that we would get to eat while we were there!
When we arrived in Boston, the 4th of July festivities had already begun.   If you ever have the chance to spend the 4th of July anywhere, Boston is the place to be!  Over the weekend, they bring history alive by reading the Declaration of Independence from the balcony of the Old State House, where they read it originally in 1776.  They also have a parade in the morning where people dress up in historical garb.  On this day, people are encouraged to walk the Freedom Trail.  It is a trail that consists of 16 different sites in Boston that tells the story about the American Revolution and how it began in Massachusetts. We were lucky enough to experience all of these awesome events…in 90 degree weather! 

USS Constitution
After walking the trail, my family and I took a boat ride from Boston Harbor and got some great views and pictures of the city.  We then journeyed to Castle Island in south Boston where the USS Constitution was sailing in to.  This ship makes its annual voyage from Charlestown to Castle Island every 4th of July as a reminder of those who have served and fought for our country’s freedom.   We ended the day by listening to the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular concert on TV, and then walking outside of our hotel near a park that had a great view of the fireworks! 
There are so many other things to do there.  Here is a link that further describes what all you can do over the 4th of July!

My next blog will continue with the journey from Boston to Booth Bay Harbor and Bar Harbor, Maine. Stay tuned!














 

3 comments:

  1. I love Boston it is my favorite city to visit. My mom is from Cape Cod, MA. She has 5 brothers and 4 sisters, so there are a lot of relatives that live in Boston and Cape Cod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! The only time I have been to Boston is in the winter. I bet it would be really nice in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been to so many neat places! My family doesn't travel much so I feel like I have missed out on seeing places. I love looking at your pictures and I am learning a lot about places I never heard of...Bay Booth Harbor and Sanibel :)

    ReplyDelete